Wednesday, 21 October 2009

The Desert

If I said these words
Out loud
Could I listen to myself?
Smell the venom on my breath.
Tuneless grace notes sing
Telling me I’m still alright,
Telling me I’m still alive.
Melodies lost through windless haze

Stepping from sigh to honest sigh,
Under clouds perspiring dry,
Wistfully aware of their own mortality.

“You’re next, you’re next”
Sung the vultures.
“Rest your heavy head
For when you drop dead
We feast on breathless flesh.”

And still the desert of my mind
Surrounds the periphery of my eyes
With yet no end in sight.

But open windows
Let air both in and out,
Grey lights enveloping natural colour,
While closed curtains lock me away.

With legs like weights,
The taste of sand,
I stumble on stray emotions.
The stream of consciousness
Contaminated.

“You’re next, you’re next”
Still sing the vultures.
“Rest your heavy head
For when you drop dead
We feast on breathless flesh.”

And still the desert of my mind
Surrounds the periphery of my eyes
With yet no end in sight.

It’s been this way for quite some time
And yet no end in sight.

{ Citizen Erased }

1 comment:

  1. I loved that one. Reminded me of that poem 'Vultures'... Coz it has vultures in it too, herp derp!! xD Nah it gave me the same kinda edgy feeling that poem always gives me and created a similar image to the one I saw in my head when I read 'Vultures'. Your poem is wonderful in other words ^^

    This one seems to be just about being stuck in a desert... but I feel there could be something deeper... Possibly about being lost, not knowing what to do with yourself? I though that coz you're sometimes annoyed that you don't know ultimately what to do with your life... Or maybe a play on words, feeling deserted as in everyone's left you behind and you' all alone in a strange place...? Just a guess! Tell me what you think!
    Love you gorgeous x o x o x o

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you think it's worth it. I'll most likely reply to you.